While reading Hebrews chapter two this morning, I came across the word "succour" in verse 18 in my King James Bible. While I have been a fervent advocate of my favorite translation and have been reading the KJV since I was a child, I realized that I had never fully understood the meaning of this term, and therefore set out to seek guidance from my Oxford American Dictionary.

It means: "Succour (v.) - To give assistance or aid to."

Upon further investigation, I found that the English word was of Latin origin (although the use of Strong's concordance relates it further back to the Greek word  βοηθέω) and associates it with the word Succursus or Succerrere, which literally means "to run to the aid of."

Applying the meaning from the word its origin, the verse I was reading (Heb. 2:18) says "For in that he [Jesus] hath suffered being tempted, he is able to run to the aid of [succour] them that are tempted."

Though this seems like such a little comment, I find it such powerful imagery to think that our LORD God  incarnate, Savior of the world, "Runs to our aid" when we are tempted. Praise our dread and sovereign God! By whom he will allow nothing to tempt us more than we can bear, and sent to us one who can free us from the chains that hold us captive.

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
 Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!



This entry was posted on 12:10 PM and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: